A trip to Torne Valley Winery
July 2, 2016On Saturday, July 2,Alyson Powers-Johnson, Cheryl Katzman, Judith Glick, Joan Prince, Dale Swisher, Lanie Gastman, and Paula Heller from TTN/NJ met for lunch at the Torne Valley Winery. Gorgeous weather, lovely surroundings, live music in the background along with lively conversation during lunch made for a lovely Saturday get-together with friends.
Torne Valley Winery
Built in 1875 by industrialist Charles Pierson, Torne Brook Estate lies in the shadow of the Hudson Valley's majestic Torne Mountain and bordered on either side by the Torne Brook and Ramapo River. The 15 acre estate ultimately consisted of a Victorian Gothic style mansion, including a barn, ice and carriage house, a servants' cottage, a horse track, tennis court, spectator pavilion, orchard and formal garden. Upon its completion, the estate was the largest and most opulent of its kind in the Town of Ramapo.
In 2000, brothers Jon and Stephen France purchased the restored the estate to its grandeur. Inspired by the fertile grounds and a life-long passion for fine wine, in 2011, the gates of the estate were opened to the public for the first time and Torne Valley Vineyard, like Charles Pierson nearly a century and a half before, aspired to take its place as a symbol of elegance and industry in the region.